Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Come tomorrow I won't be here...

Tomorrow we journey north for the funeral (on friday), after checking Jake into his dog hotel with its canine hydrotherapy pool, I do hope they don't show the pool to him as he's never been in water above his ankles since the time when he was a puppy and we let him wade in the River Wharfe - he came out in a rash that needed a steroid cream to soothe it.

Today I had a threatening phone call from Her Majesty's Customs and Excise collectors, a sniffy young girl who introduced herself as "Ms", all the debt collectors who work in government departments are either very young, or very old, but invariably are women and always introduce themselves as "Ms", they are without fail very haughty and obviously read from the same script, I really would like to engage them in a conversation and enlighten them as to what life in the real world of business is all about but quite frankly I can't be bothered, in fact I've been of the opinion for some months now that if they carry out their threats to wind the company up then frankly I wouldn't care about that either, I think I've had enough of paying taxes for a while.

But we'll pay them what we owe them next week and for a couple of months they'll go away and I'll have to deal with the same sorts of women in the Inland Revenue until its time for the Customs & Excise again, and so it goes, the endless wheel of tax paying and stretching out the days when you have to pay the bills - I wish I could just stay at home and paint all day and that enough people would buy my paintings to make it worth while, they'd pay cash and I wouldn't declare a fucking bean, having donated more than my fair share of income tax and vat over the last 22 years of business, its someone elses turn now.

So I'll be absent with a good excuse for a few days then back paying the bills to miserable young and old cows at the revenue office, some sadness and a wake awaits in the northeast and in that strange way that wakes have, it will be nice to see all of the family again and say goodbye to the home that was my wifes home since she was born.

Toodle pip for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Be safe in your travels.

Gary said...

Thank you - have just returned this afternoon with the two kids, Suzanne is staying up north for another week to sort out and empty her mothers home,I think she'll find that that is the toughest part of the whole last few weeks, their family moved into the house when it was brand new, thirty-something years ago and now they simply have to hand it back to the local council next Friday, thats going to be one hard day to cope with.

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»