Monday, July 30, 2007

On the wagon again...

Monday morning 5am, don't need to be out of the house before 9am but there is the small issue of a hangover to rid myself of first.

I have the mother of all headaches and a stomach that is sending frequent messages to the brain informing me to get to a toilet quickly, last nights beer will be evacuating by the upper orifice first, any remnants thereafter may use the lower orifice, or maybe both at once.

I manage to keep a lid on the stomach problem and three paracetomol dull the head, some sickly sweet fresh orange sates the sugar craving and a strong black coffee gives a perk, cornflakes have been sent down to mop up the beer dregs and hopefully I am back in control now - its 7.32am and I should still be asleep having spent most of the night restlessly trying to cope with the re-emergence of my alcohol allergy.

"Its your fault" I hear you say, "over-exuberence in the pub is always your own fault"

The truth is that I was tempted out last night in the company of old friends for no other reason that someone asked the question, it was a good night and in my usual devil-may-care laxness I drank the grand total of two pints of Taylors Landlord and I didn't even finish the second one.

So why the hangover you may well ask - its an alcohol allergy I answer in all seriousness.

Ten years ago I had to stop the alcohol consumption for exactly the same reason, even a small sip of the stuff would start a headache back then, I went teatotal for five years and then sneaked a few drinks in after being totaly bored with orange juice and water. Since then its been ok as long as I stick to just a couple of pints, or three, but recently I've noticed the headaches returning with more frequency and this mornings episode is fair warning.

Back on the wagon again.
I'll be down your way one day soon, beating a tambourine and urging you all to give up the demon...


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its the Yeast i'm afraid, it starts fementing all the stuff in your gut!! drinks lots of water. AND KEEP OFF THE SUGAR-EEE STUFF, you're feeding it with that.
Me.

Gary said...

mmmm, why do all the good things kill you ?

John_D said...

I am suffering today as well. Beer, sunshine and a semi-final win all conspired against me.

Anonymous said...

Better ?

Gary said...

Much better, and have refined the beer drinking strategy now - only bottled lagers shall pass the gullet as they are at least consistent, most of them like piss, but consistent.

And for Mr_d - you had an excuse, a magnificent excuse, an excuse that the whole rugby league world could celebrate, apart from Wigan fans of course - tee, hee

Anonymous said...

Get that tambourine out. I actually found out that here in the U.S. the old Women's Christian Temperance Union still exists!

Gary said...

Hallelulah sister !
(waves tabourine)
Follow me on the wagon, I may however try a little wine later...

I have the demon back in me, yesterday morning is 24 hours gone...

John_D said...

I've had worse excuses for getting in right old two-and-eight, I will admit.
August bank holiday weekend could be a touch on the messy side.