Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Its all wrong, its just wrong...

I've just heard the most dreadful so-called vocal entertainment perpetrated on GMTV - Rod Stewart has just murdered a Bob Seger song.

I may have mentioned elsewhere that I used to be a fan of Mr Stewart, back in the days when he and I both looked like that photo of him (above), but I don't now and he hardly does either.

His musical output fell out of favour with me when he left The Faces and moved to Los Angeles and started producing albums full of shoulder padded, spangly-suited disco rubbish and in recent years his production of what he calls "the standards", ie songs that the original crooners were producing so much better than he can back in the 1940's and 50's, has been just, well, just simply, awful.

So when he sat on the couch this morning on GMTV and announced that his new album was full of music which reflected his soft-rock roots then my ears pricked up a little - this may be worth listening to on Napster thought I.

Then he stood up and sang "Still the Same", the classic Bob Seger song.

Took a wonderful song and turned it into bland 3 minute filler, a crime worthy of my turning my back on him once again, Rod Stewart has become a parody of an old club turn, churning out tired productions of other peoples work, unable to invent his own original stuff anymore, he now relies not only on the words and music of other more talented artists, but also their arrangements, so what you get is Rod Stewart trying to be Bob Seger.

It will never work.

It will sell lots of albums to the gullible though, because the music business works like that now.

No comments: